• Breaking News

    Tuesday, December 8, 2020

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 08:50 AM PST

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous


    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily Q&A threads and the New Q&A FAQ.


    WikiCareer ChartLore (Brief) • ThargoidsSagittarius Eye MagazineThe Elite Squadron

    Game Update Summaries: CoreHorizonsBeyond2019-2020

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Odyssey Expectations Starter Pack 2.0

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 11:22 AM PST

    Flying close to a star, and FSD charging at the same time, and the Dolphin's heat is still below 70%

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 12:01 AM PST

    3D printed flight panel

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 07:39 PM PST

    Having just picked up this game, for any aspiring traders, I've made over 10 million Credits in transporting cargo thanks to this beauty. Hopefully I'll be able to buy myself a nice explorer vessel to head over to Coalsack.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 04:06 AM PST

    Asp Explorer

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 02:40 AM PST

    You have come hundreds of Lightseconds.... But now before you comes the hardest part of it all.... the final MegaMeters

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 07:33 AM PST

    My first discovered ELW and MkII in front of it! Only 2.5kly from the bubble!

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 09:51 AM PST

    First time leaving the bubble and the first time I almost had to call the fuel rats

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 11:28 AM PST

    This game is really terrifying for me

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 12:54 PM PST

    When I'm away 1000s of ly from the bubble. in the middle of nowhere.

    I find a planet to refill my afmu. luckily i find one with all four resources.

    I don't know whats down there, waiting.

    i land, and i am the single living soul in the entire solar system. hell, even for entire light years.

    unless, am i? i have anxiety and an irrational fear that maybe when I'm back from collecting all the resources, my ship won't be there, or something will be waiting in the ship, hiding, since, you know, the hangar is wide open.

    it's just terrifying to know that you are truly alone in a cosmic scale. that to find another person you have to go thousands of light years.

    i fucking love this game. no horror movie ever scared me as much as I'm scared when I'm supercharging my fsd in a neutron stars exhaust.

    O7, CMDRS'

    submitted by /u/SI7Rus
    [link] [comments]

    Testimony of a Newbie: I think Elite finally is noob-friendly?

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 07:03 AM PST

    Hi guys!

    I just wanted to make this post to give veteran players as well as other potential newbies a better idea of what it's like to be an Elite Dangerous noob in December 2020. Maybe you can reference my experience to convince skeptical friends to finally try it? Or maybe it will be entertaining to compare my experience to your own.

    TL;DR: I got into Elite, had fun and bought a cool ship in two days without having to read long guides, use external tools, get lost on the grind, or follow some cheesy mining strat to "make a billion bucks in hours".

    I started playing for the first time a couple of days ago. It's my first space sim, and I've never been a flight sim fanatic either. I've watched a couple of casual YouTube videos with gameplay back in the day when ED first came about, and also heard about all the people saying it's a massive grind-fest, time sink, super steep learning curve, etc. I decided to give it a go anyways because it looks cool, and was positively surprised!

    The starting tutorial is great, and the other optional tutorials helped me get the hang of the basics. I spent my first evening familiarizing myself with controls and tutorials, and started out with a couple of jumps in the starting zone. So far so good! Because I was scared from hearing that Elite is Dangerously difficult for noobs I decided to watch maybe 30 minutes of YouTube videos about how to get started and make money as a beginner, tips for beginners, etc. The important takeaways for me, that I ended up actually remembering and using:

    1. Don't fly without being able to afford the rebuy cost for the ship you're flying.
    2. There are a lot of objectively bad missions on the mission boards, so at least make sure you check the jump-route and distance from your target station to its nearest star before accepting.
    3. One-way cargo delivery and courier missions are good to start you out.
    4. Exploring is good after that, when you can afford the Detailed Surface Scanner.
    5. Just go and have fun, don't get stuck focusing on money and upgrades unless you like that.

    The important thing about this list is that 1 I might have learned very painfully eventually, 2 and 3 I would have figured out myself pretty quickly (and figuring that out myself would be ok), and 5 is more of a general statement about how to play video games. I probably wouldn't have needed to watch any of those YouTube videos in the first place in order to get started and have fun with it.

    The second night of Elite I spent doing cargo missions, data courier missions and freelance trading in the protected starter zone, just generally mucking around, and not following most of the other (not-mentioned here) pro-gamer advice from those YouTube videos I watched. On a whim out of curiosity I went to a hazardous resource extraction zone and got my sidewinder turned to space-dust by a pirate. Oh well, no harm done! Then I spent a couple of hours space-trucking, constantly missing stations in superboost because I'm stubborn and thought the assist was driving too leisurely. I had a good time finding combinations of available data courier missions, delivery missions and tradable goods that would together net me the biggest profit the fastest. After a couple of hours I got the mission called "Explore the galaxy" for 100k, which asks you to leave the starting zone. When I handed in that mission outside the starter zone, I had maybe 550k? From mostly one evening of play, starting out from scratch in my sidewinder, just doing what I felt like. At that point I felt rich, and for the first time wanted to take a look at what ships I could buy. On purpose, I did absolutely no online research (I've only heard ship names used in YouTube videos). The station I was on had a lot for sale, and I saw I could afford the Cobra Mk III with rebuy and a few module upgrades. At this point I was like "wait, from videos I got the impression that this is a pretty serious ship? I'm buying a Cobra as my first ship purchase, on my second night playing Elite? ". Looking at what else was for sale, I feel like I skipped over two or three price classes of vessels, without even actively grinding. Then (we're still on my second day playing Elite, first day outside the tutorial) I still had some time to earn the dough for the Detailed Surface Scanner and try some exploring before calling it a night. I'm happy to say I'm genuinely excited to play more, and I'm looking forward to trying out other mechanics and missions.

    Hope this was useful or entertaining! See you out there, commanders!

    submitted by /u/Dis0lved
    [link] [comments]

    Iv just brought this and now engineering the shite out of it I must admit I’m so in love with it such a cracking ship

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 08:17 AM PST

    Had three firsts today, finding a thargoid, being murdered by a thargoid, and being murdered by another commander.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 12:44 PM PST

    The title has all the info

    submitted by /u/Eat-a_taco
    [link] [comments]

    calculated

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 10:50 PM PST

    This game combines my two favorite topics, gaming and astronomy. I am absolutely addicted to it.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 08:32 AM PST

    Anaconda requesting to dock. Banana for scale. Credit-@legomaestrotimtam

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 12:30 AM PST

    Just saw one for the first time today!

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 10:10 AM PST

    i made a few mobile wallpapers for myself and i wanted to share them with the community ;)

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 02:10 AM PST

    Just some angry space flowers I found in my exploraconda

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 12:03 PM PST

    “On average, 1 in 26 is a Crash Landing”

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 10:53 AM PST

    I finally got this achievement, because I don't go out onto planets surfaces very much. I've never had an issue with landing vessels of any size, even shieldless.

    I'm thinking to myself "I wonder if that's a true statistic or just a joke".

    After an exploration dump at the CG, I went back to grinding engineering mats at Jameson Crash site, and for some reason, I've messed up the glide a few times.

    Ok, no problem, just being impatient..

    Finally got it right and start heading down after the glide completes.

    I line myself up and ready to bring my dbx close by for a relaxing grind. I realize I'm throttling vertically up and my velocity down isn't slowing.

    "Heh, ok, let's just aim up a bit and we should be good, right?"

    I see the hud numbers get to around 1.2km...

    That's when it hits me

    PULL UP AND BOOST!

    But alas, I was too late.

    I hear my thrusters kick on as I'm waiting for the saving grace, to be greeted by the planet's face.

    My dbx crashed next to Jameson's.

    I'm at the rebuy screen, realizing I just became a statistic with my 26th landing.

    What a humbling moment, to say the least lol.

    submitted by /u/TheManWithNoDrive
    [link] [comments]

    Made some more carrier frigate varients!

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 02:34 PM PST

    2500 lightyears above the galactic plane

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 01:47 PM PST

    For the first time I encountered a Farming Ship... it's awesome.

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 04:29 PM PST

    First one of these, thanks community goal

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 11:59 AM PST

    [FDEV] Game Balancing Pt.3 - Combat Bonds, AX Combat, Delivery Missions

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 04:11 AM PST

    I'm doing community goal i got my first "first mapped" planets. I'm so damn proud and happy. Only 8 little moons in Musca Dark Region GR-V b2-6 but it means a lot for me!

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 02:25 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment