• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 4, 2020

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (January 04, 2020)

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (January 04, 2020)


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (January 04, 2020)

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 08:49 AM PST

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous

    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily threads and the New Q&A FAQ.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    When I logged back in they had lined up nicely.

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 03:25 AM PST

    From CMDR Tusc's video, the same core asteroid viewed in 1080p and 4k, I think this is confusing. Thoughts?

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 08:08 AM PST

    After reaching Beagle Point during DW2, I planned a slightly curved returntrip. Today I've reached the center of the galaxy!

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 12:52 PM PST

    Taking her out for the first time, the Imperial Cutter. The feeling was worth the grind.

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 11:02 AM PST

    Anyone seen these custom covers for the TM Warthog throttle? (link in comments)

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 11:36 PM PST

    Now now ladies, I'm just a humble miner. no reason to open fire.

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 10:15 PM PST

    (hi Res) New emblem for Hand to the Princess?

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 11:28 PM PST

    This needs to be the Fuel Rats’ theme song

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 12:30 PM PST

    Blowing up the starport

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 11:12 AM PST

    Beautiful!

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 08:07 AM PST

    THIS is what i play ELITE for.

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 09:30 PM PST

    The Answer to the Question: "So What Do I Do in Elite Dangerous" - My First 300 Hours and the Beauty of Engineers

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 11:36 AM PST

    Ok, so fair warning up front, this is a long post. But here's the TLDR: As a new player, I set as a goal unlocking the 14 engineers on this list. By meeting their individual demands and being very open to distractions along the way, I experienced a variety of what Elite has to offer and have a much greater respect for and enjoyment of the game.

    Just like many new players, I got into Elite because of chat on reddit, screen shots, and the desire for some one big thing I could enjoy in my spare time. What I didn't know going in, was the first damn thing about how to play. That was solved by reddit, YouTube, and a number of community-built resources. In an attempt to give back just a bit, here's a brief summary of what I did and where I got the guidance. For reference, I picked up the game in July 2019 and will cross the 300 hours played mark as soon as I log in after this post.

    1. Credits. There's a lot you can do in your freebie sidewinder but life sure would be a whole lot more fun if you had some money to burn. Thanks to some of the info pinned on this subreddit, I followed the rags to riches route explained in this YouTube video. It's nearly an hour long but here's the basics: A) Take your trusty sidewinder into a resource extraction site, shoot some bad guys that are already being taken down by security forces, turn in the bounties and profit; B) buy yourself a Hauler, load up the road to riches plotter on Spansh, and head out for some low-level exploring; C) turn in all those exploration credits to fund your purchase of an Asp Explorer and take it out mining for Void Opals. Boom - millions of credits and the flexibility to do whatever.
    2. What next? Engineers. So I did the void opal thing for awhile but was quickly getting bored (and at times frustrated). I went back to reddit and learned I really needed to get some engineering done on my ship. There are plenty of sources for which engineers to unlock and in which order; I went with this guide to unlocking engineers "quickly" and also this list of suggested blueprints to pin for each engineer. My thinking was simple - burn around the bubble unlocking engineers so I had the basics available for when I decided on what I really wanted to do. One quick thing before I set out, I knew I needed engineering materials, so I did a few laps at the sites suggested on this guide to material farming. It's worth noting, just as I was finishing up my engineering pursuits, I came across the far more efficient YouTube video from CMDR Exigeous.
    3. So the rest is pretty self-explanatory. Each engineer had certain requirements to be met, first for an invite and then also to start building a reputation with them. By following the list of engineers, I was exposed to plenty of gameplay options and styles I would not have thought to pursue otherwise. My biggest rule as I did this, to prevent it from feeling like a grind, was: always be willing to be distracted.

    Thanks to the list and that one simple rule, I had so many experiences:

    • I got ganked on my first ever attempt at visiting an engineer... which led to plenty of study about watching my scanner, being smarter about approaches, and how to submit to an interdiction and get away in one piece. Ganking is a divisive topic in this community but posting about it was my first exposure to a generally welcoming group of fellow Commanders.
    • Unlocking Marco Qwent put me on my first long-distance run, 5,000 LY. I looked up how to build a low-cost (I had good void opal money but didn't want to burn it all) exploration ship, how to use AFMUs, and most importantly what might be some cool sites to visit along the way.
    • Getting sensor fragments for Professor Palin was my first (non-hostile) encounter with a thargoid ship. If you haven't done this yet, I suggest doing so at night, with the lights off, and with the sound on full blast. That was an amazing experience.
    • Selling to black markets for The Dweller would have been easy enough but since I was open to distraction I decided to turn it into a full blown investigation on how to build and run a solid smuggling ship. I'm with a lot of others on the opinion that this part of Elite could be better built out, but it was still fun setting up my approach and putting together a cold-running ship just to move stuff between black markets.
    • Tod McQuinn and Later Juri Ishmaak had me finally trying out combat in Elite. Spending time in conflict zones and bounty hunting is ok... it's actually fun once you get engineer and upgrade some of your weapons. Damn what a difference that made!
    • When I got to unlocking Selene Jean, things took a bit of a detour. This engineer requires only 10 units of painite. I had already seen all the chatter on reddit about painite mining and I was sitting at around 300m credits, so I figure this was a good time to see what all the fuss was about. I went all in on painite mining, built out an Anaconda decide hitting the billion credits mark would be a solid goal. Once I hit it, I was back to tracking down engineers.
    • Just having a ship with missiles so I could do some upgrading with Liz Ryder got me into using missiles and torpedos for the first time. I'm sure I would have come around eventually but with all the talk about multi cannons on reddit, that had been my focus previously
    • Engineer Hera Tani requires that you hit a relatively low rank with the Empire. Well, when I was researching the best painite mining rig, all I found was constant talk about how amazing the Imperial Cutter is. So once I was started on the Imperial rep grind I figure why not finish it out. I used a brief guide here for Imperial and then later for Federal, but I noticed what was suggested here is not the norm. Still, it worked well for me and only took a few days. Plus, I did the Fed rank missions during the recent bonus.

    All in, I've unlocked 14 engineers, the Imperial Cutter and the Federal Corvette, engineered a few ships to various degrees, and am sitting on about 500m credits left.

    So what's next? That's the best part about Elite - there's still so much more! I just started looking at Power Play (gotta get those prismatic shields for my cutter) so I need to learn about that and I want to get onboard with a player wing or group. I used to play WoW and the thing that really made the game was having a core group of players to chat and do missions with. I also haven't touched any Guardian tech or done any anti-xeno Thargoid missions, so I've gotta try that out. Following that, I still need to learn more combat and flying with FA off (seems so insanely difficult right now) and then once I get back north of a billion credits or so, I think it will be time to head off into the black for some long term exploring.

    Thanks to all the Commanders who contribute to this community and made my first 300 hours possible and so enjoyable. And to any newbies, I hope this helps to answer the question I see so often and gives you an idea for what exactly you can do, or at least a framework for trying a variety of things.

    o7

    submitted by /u/MCRNRocinante
    [link] [comments]

    We meet again...

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:49 AM PST

    Just wanted to share one of my favorite desktop background pictures with my DiamondbackExp on it with you

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 11:25 AM PST

    Cleaned and lubed both my Xbone Thrustmasters, also did a little strain relief on the wiring harnesses. After an evening of heavy testing, no more drift on one of them. I haven't tested the other one in-game but it isn't showing drift in the config utility anymore; I'm cautiously optimistic!

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:52 AM PST

    My first Painite mining haul!!! May not be much but I'm stoked lol...

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:21 AM PST

    I tried to solo a thargoid

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 06:51 PM PST

    Launch assist module expended. Reaching low planetary orbit.

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 07:22 AM PST

    Krait Exploring

    Posted: 03 Jan 2020 09:10 PM PST

    Shield Cell Banks Explained for PvP and PvE Pilots

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 05:57 AM PST

    Let's discuss: the hypothetical case that Betelgeuse becomes a supernova

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 08:15 AM PST

    Due to the big amount of articles talking about Betelgeuse reducing its brightness and the possibility of becoming a supernova ahead of schedule, let's suppose that it will explode the next year hypothetically speaking:

    1. How will Frontier represent that event in-game?
    2. What kind of in-game content will bring with this?
    3. Of course we will want to witness such event, where you think should be the best place to sit and watch such fireworks?
    4. Also, the system will be banished from existence, how will impact this to the gameplay?

    If you have more question to bring up, please go ahead and comment them! Have fun with all the theories!

    submitted by /u/Rakushan
    [link] [comments]

    Soloing Wing Mission

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 03:05 PM PST

    Deep space exploration and asteroid mining is both relaxing and rewarding

    Posted: 04 Jan 2020 05:32 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment