• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 12, 2020

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (March 12, 2020)

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (March 12, 2020)


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (March 12, 2020)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous

    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily threads and the New Q&A FAQ.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Fallen Giant

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    My first undiscovered AE/BE star, i know these may not be rare but i thought it was cool.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:07 AM PDT

    [Eagle's Landing] One hell of a sunrise.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 07:50 AM PDT

    Idea for adding flavor to the fighter hangar for non-combat focused play-styles, and expanding the utility of the SRV.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 07:33 AM PDT

    As I was mining in my Anaconda last night, bumping into rocks as I circled around the blasted remains of an LTD core-asteroid, I got an idea. And I'm sure I'm not the first to have this, but I figured I'd still lay this out as it popped into my head, purely to get feedback and see what the general thoughts are on it.

    Explorers and miners have no real need to keep a fighter hangar with them. It just takes up space. But last night, I would have gladly given up a class 5 cargo bay to have a smaller, more nimble ship to use to blast the deposits off the core, to A: make it faster and easier, and B: have something different about mining.

    So I was brainstorming, add two new ship options for the fighter hangar. Call them "utility skiffs." Unarmed, lightly shielded, slower than fighters, say, on par with a stock Eagle or Sidewinder (220-240m/s with boost of 320-350) but equipped for mining and exploration.

    Utility Skiff- Mining

    • I'm imagining something like Faulcon DeLacy Taipan as the base, something less bulky looking. Equipped with an abrasion blaster.

    • My line of thought is that you'd ID the rock with your main ship, in my case, the Anaconda, set the charges and retreat. After the explosion, you move in, launch the collectors and the skiff, and blast the surface deposits free.

    • Yes, you lose a 5e cargo rack, or 6e if you want to carry a class 6 fighter hangar. But to me the ability to mix things up while mining would be worth it, and it may end up being a tad bit faster, making up for that lost 32t of cargo space. You wouldn't have to swing a large ship all the way around the outside of the rock to hit all the surface deposits, or bounce a medium ship around between them, if that's your style.

    • Personally, I never max out my cargo hold anyways when I'm mining. I get bored at around 75% capacity and come back. So going from 352t to 320t isn't make or break for me.

    Utility Skiff- Exploration

    • Explorers who use smaller ships won't have a need for this, but those of you who use a Jump-aconda, and have to float around looking for an area flat enough and big enough to land on, this may be a good solution for you. Also, the freedom of flying around in a smaller ship after being in the massive Anaconda for a while might be a welcome change.
    • For this I was looking at the Core Dynamics F63 Condor and thinking if you moved the cockpit forward, and added a beer belly to it, you could give it landing gear, and enough room to theoretically fit a single SRV bay.
    • These dimensions show the Scarab SRV being 4.8m L x 4m W x 2.5m H and the F63 Condor being 13.4m L x 10.6m W x 2.6m H. Adding an extra 1m to the overall height of a ship based on the Condor would accommodate the room needed for the SRV, and still have structural hull and bulkheads, etc. by shifting the engines towards the wings to offset the space needed. This would bring the overall height to ~3.6m, the tallest non-Guardian ship that would fit in the hangar.
    • The Guardian fighters range from 11-17m in height fully extended, but I couldn't find numbers on the height when their wings were retracted/powered down. Purely guessing, based on the appearance and simple math, even the shortest one, the XG9 Lance, would only lose 4-5m at most, so it would still be 6-7m tall, meaning there would be plenty of room.
    • Since this carries an SRV, would you only be able to equip this in a class 6 or 7 fighter hangar, because the SRV itself would take up the extra bay? Or would you need both a fighter hangar AND SRV bay?

    That brings me around to the SRVs.

    I know I've seen several people say they would like additional SRVs. So again, I was thinking about that and had some ideas.

    The Scarab is kind of the Sidewinder of SRVs. Light, relatively fast, etc.

    Since the Elite universe likes to stick with themes when naming the vehicles, here's my ideas.

    Mantis Attack SRV

    • This would be the SRV version of the Vulture. Roughly as maneuverable as the Scarab, but with two weapons, larger than that of the Scarab, and heavier armor and shielding. Lower top speed, and no cargo capacity. (Can still pick up materials, just not stuff that takes up cargo hold space.)

    Atlas Surface Mining SRV

    • Named after the Atlas Beetle. This would be geared towards surface materials collecting. Single weapon, light shields and armor, with 4 (maybe 6?) tons of cargo space. I'm imagining a Scarab, with the ass dragged out, and larger wheels. Extra axles in the back.

    Katydid Rapid Response SRV

    • The ultimate fuck-around toy for surface exploits. Lightly armored, higher shields, faster, and longer thrust capabilities than the Scarab, but otherwise, very similar. This would be the go to for SRV racing, or thrust-jumping canyons on low gravity planets.

    • I'm not sure what they call them elsewhere, but what we call katydids are like a mix of leafbugs and grasshoppers that can fly.

    I know fleet carriers are the big thing everyone wants next, but from a purely immersion/role play-ish aspect, I'd love to see something like this added also. I feel like the coolest stuff in the game, like the SLFs, Guardian tech, etc., all exclusively benefit combat oriented players. (Minus the FSD booster.)

    That's it. Long winded, impromptu brain storm over.

    submitted by /u/Another_Minor_Threat
    [link] [comments]

    Atmosphere..I'd love a planet with a happy atmosphere....

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    Late night drive through the brain tree forest

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 08:07 AM PDT

    The Climb

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    Computer..... did we bring a shovel??

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    Sagittarius A. I came 30,000 light years to see this...

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 12:24 PM PDT

    Found my first ELW on a trip far away. Couldn't resist 4k + 2x Supersampling + Alt-F10

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    When I go exploring, I give myself mission briefings. Here is my latest

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    Background: I recently transferred over to PC from Xbox, hence the mission name and secondary mission parameters

    https://i.imgur.com/8skZbZR.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/6NQnvyH.jpg

    Status:

    • primary mission: failed. Record for A class is 499 solar radii, I found a 498.

    • secondary mission: accomplished

    • tertiary mission objective: exceeded - achieved Elite rank upon arrival at home station in Sol system.

    Bonus stats: travelled approximately 145,000 light years, made 388 million credits, and discovered (among others) 9 earth-like worlds, 20 black holes, 73 blue supergiants, 220 neutron stars, and 1,791 high metal content worlds

    submitted by /u/UnholyDemigod
    [link] [comments]

    Found a pretty nice orbis station in Acihaut. Vonarburg co-operative.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    Short video. We are small, the universe is big.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 01:33 PM PDT

    Voidwalker's Paradise #WayfarersCatalogue

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 01:19 AM PDT

    Send me a photo of your Commander in action, o7!

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 01:27 AM PDT

    An ode to the Fuel Rats

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 08:39 AM PDT

    When a humble bard
    Graced a flight along
    With Fueler of Ratter
    Along came this song.

    When the Fuel Rat filled
    A mining rigged Conda
    His army of limpets
    At the space rock they ponder.

    They came after me
    With masterful confusion
    Broke down my lute
    And refined it post haste.

    While the limpet's claws
    Minced our tender meat
    And so cried the Ratter
    Our service can't be beat.

    Toss a coin to your Ratter
    Oh, fueler of plenty
    Oh, fueler of plenty, oh
    Toss a coin to your Ratter
    Oh, fueler of plenty.

    At the edge of the bubble
    Sounds like there's trouble
    That scans and melts you
    And steals your carrrr-gooooo.

    He thrust every Thoid
    Far back in the void
    High up on Raxxla
    From whence they came.

    In all that bluster
    Got shot in the thruster
    He's a friend of humanity
    Appreciation you muster.

    That's my epic tale
    Our Ratter prevailed
    Fueled up the Miner
    So pour some Kongga ale!

    Toss a coin to your Ratter
    Oh, fueler of plenty
    Oh, fueler of plenty, oh
    Toss a coin to your Ratter
    A friend of humanity
    Toss a coin to your Ratter
    Oh, fueler of plenty
    Oh, fueler of plenty
    Toss a coin to your Ratter
    A friend of humanity
    Toss a coin to your Ratter
    Oh, fueler of plenty
    Oh, fueler of plenty
    Toss a coin to your Ratter
    A friend of humanity.

    submitted by /u/GazzP
    [link] [comments]

    This nebula looks like a dragons head from here

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    The DBX is bettwr than the AspX - change my mind.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    I'm serious. EDIT: - Talking about exploration vessels - also sorry for error in title.

    submitted by /u/sappydowner
    [link] [comments]

    Thargoids vs... (SPOILER)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/41T9I0M

    https://imgur.com/8ADeTK7

    I hope the Frontier designers got a cheque for this...

    submitted by /u/libracker
    [link] [comments]

    Solo Mode and other ships

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 02:36 PM PDT

    So as a new player some things are confusing at times. I understand Solo mode to be no interaction with real players?

    Last night I was visiting System: HIP 12099 Planet: 1 B Location: -54.365, -50.361 the Jameson crashed ship, I got the server shutdown warning while on my way there and had to find somewhere to land close to the ship with 5 minutes remaining. I saw another ship in a nearby crater and landed in the same crater for the night. The other ship had it's lights on and a CMDR name. How is this possible?

    Thanks for this forum!

    Chris

    submitted by /u/bughunter13
    [link] [comments]

    And that’s how it happens. Decided to randomly deviate (for no reason other than curiosity) from my course back to Colonia, and boom the random system has two ELW orbiting each other. Just like that. Wow.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 08:25 PM PDT

    My Hunter Killer. Had it for a while but I like showing it off - I present you, The Morningstar

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    A rocky moon orbits an earth 6 light minutes from its sun. 20k ly from Sol, it feels almost like home.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 02:16 AM PDT

    Ship ALWAYS Stops Too Far Away From Station

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    New player here and I'm struggling every single time I try to dock at Aldrich Station. Every single time I am approaching the station frameshift drops out really really far away. I have tried approaching from every angle and this happens each time. I have tried passing it and coming back towards it, above, below, east, west, north, south. Same thing happens. I am not mass locked when this happens as it will allow me to enter frameshift again, but then it drops out immediately. This only happens at Aldrich. I've had it happen at others when I was clearly mass locked and too close to another body, but with Aldrich it never shows that I am locked.

    submitted by /u/soccerpuma03
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment