• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 2, 2020

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (April 02, 2020)

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (April 02, 2020)


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (April 02, 2020)

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous

    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily threads and the New Q&A FAQ.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    [FDEV Forums] ANNOUNCEMENT Fleet Carriers - Content Reveal Recap

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    Start your journey now!

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    Finally made it home. All those grinding hours Googling “how to” and space-trucking tea and bio waste in the name of democracy have paid off

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 02:25 AM PDT

    Fleet Carriers...

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    The fleet carrier jump sequence sounds awesome

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    Basic upkeep cost of Fleet Carrier is currently 10m Credits (prices may changed during beta)

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    The result of 4 years of flying

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    I am horribly disappointed by the fleet carriers reveal.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:03 PM PDT

        Like many of you I was concerned about the upkeep costs, and while they aren't as bad as they could have been it's still not great. Yes, 10 million a week is nothing to an active player, but what if you play intermittently? What if you travel and won't have access to a computer that can run elite dangerous for 6 months? What if some life shit gets in the way and you can't play for a year or more? That's gonna cost you 520ish million for a base carrier. "Oh, well that's only 5 hours of mining" says the veteran miner. In what fucking universe should I have to spend 5 hours grinding to not play a game? It takes long enough to get 5 billion to just own the thing and now I need to get even more just so I can leave it alone? What if something really shitty happens and you can't spend 5 hours grinding before you lose access to elite dangerous? Eat shit fucker, maybe support will sell it for you, guess you just wasted 1 billion. What if you're an explorer? You can't sell data at your carrier so where the hell are you going to get 10 million in bumfuck nowhere? If I have to grind just to take the thing with me on a long term voyage then why bother taking it at all when I could just go out like I always do at zero cost? All this would be alleviated with an option to mothball the carrier but I guess we're expected to sell it at loss instead.

        To be clear, I didn't expect these to be free, I expected them to be accessible to people who don't exclusively play elite dangerous. There's a distinct lack of content for people who aren't into combat or exploration as it is and I got bored of watching my credits go up a long time ago. Now the latest content release is a credit sink for the 1% of players who grinded more than just enough credits to outfit their favorite ship plus a rebuy. Logging in so I can keep my space station sized tamagotchi happy is not my idea of a good time.

    submitted by /u/icecoldrum
    [link] [comments]

    The hype is real boys! Can't wait to have some fun and engaging gameplay!

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    VY Canis Majoris is waaay bigger then I thought it was. You have to be moving at 100c to get around the star. In this pic I'm over 5000 ls away from it.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 08:18 AM PDT

    Upkeep costs and player-to-player trading: Am I missing something vital here?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    I just feel like these are features that work fine on paper, but the game isn't suited for them as presented in the stream.

    Firstly: player-to-player trading. The only use of the vast majority of commodities is to sell them, and the economy of Elite is largely a static placeholder. You get some small variances, but ultimately everyone just bulk-trades the most expensive good.

    When you sell your goods to a carrier, they're just being passed along to the owner, who then has to sell them onto a station to make a profit. The price the owner can offer you will always have to be lower than the NPC station, as well as having a much more limited selection. The owner is therefore working for the profit margin between their price and the station price, which is going to be less than just trading the stuff as normal.

    So...what's the point? Upper sale price is limited by the NPC prices. Lower sale price is limited by competition from other Carriers, who will undercut each other and drive the margin lower and lower because there's nothing else they can do.

    There's another issue as well, and that's the carriers that aren't going to see much trade, such as deep-space carriers. On the stream, they mentioned setting tariffs on services, such as Refueling or a Shipyard. But half the services are never going to approach being able to pay off the upkeep (Refuel/Repair/Restock) and the more expensive ones (Shipyard) are going to be operating on very low-profit margins since you're also buying the stock in the first place.

    I've seen a lot of comments about people just going mining and shoving money into the carrier to pay the upkeep, but then what exactly is the point of the upkeep? That just means that the Carrier can't pay for itself.

    So ultimately, if all the stuff offered by the Carrier is going to be more expensive for visitors, less profitable for the owner, and unable to pay for itself...what's the point of having them? We'd need a proper, fleshed out economy and new gameplay with the Carriers to back them up, give them a unique niche...and, unless I'm missing something, we don't. I fear they'll be used for a few edge cases, but ultimately add nothing new for all the delays we've had.

    submitted by /u/Sir_Tortoise
    [link] [comments]

    The Fleet Carrier Announcement highlights a large issue with the game: Commodities are useless without crafting

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:17 PM PDT

    Carriers should have been designed to be mobile factories, where you supply commodities and output higher priced Commodities, Modules and Ships.

    No one is going to want to sell to Carriers when stations are going to offer better prices. The Commodity market is literally only going to benefit the fleet carrier owner by being able to store Commodites on it.

    But if you could sell Commodites to manufacture things, it would at least make the Commodity Market on the Carriers useful, even if you could buy everything from stations.

    I envison a Fleet Carrier out in the black gathering minerals from mining, converting them to low level Commodites, to mid level Commodites, high level Commodites then all of a sudden you have a Fleet Carrier selling an Asp, or an Anaconda.

    This game needs crafting for the Commodity Market to be worth anything.

    submitted by /u/teeth_03
    [link] [comments]

    My Concerns about the upcoming Fleet Carriers

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:10 PM PDT

    So, interesting stream we just watched..

    A couple of things come to mind:

    - The 10 million upkeep. I don't care a bout the price, that's easy. What I care about is that this makes you locked to the game. If you don't play the game for a while, you better hope that everything has gone right in the time you were away. This essentially makes you need to keep playing the game actively to care of your 'very expensive Tamagochi' (as I saw someone aptly put it during stream). That fact actually makes me dread this update, since I would really like one but by the looks of it it really doesn't support my play style (on and off in bursts). It's just way too expensive to even bother with is my initial thought.

    - I can only come up with a couple of edge cases where I would actually use a fleet carrier (with it's tariffs) over a normal station. For example a mining carrier that has everything related to mining so you don't have to hop station looking for the right outfitting options. (oh wait, there's eddb.io and inara.cz and, oh wait oh wait, I'd have to look for that carrier in the first place, also, Shinrarta..).

    - Furthermore it seems really cumbersome to get a carrier in such a special state that it would become attractive to use for other players. For example:

    "awesome I have finally got my carrier to Borann, sure enough there should be enough players coming through here to make it profitable!! oh wut, there's 10 other fleet carriers here already?! fml now I have to engage in a price war with the other 10 to get people to use mine, effectively negating all the profit I would make off the tariffs"

    Edit1: It's not so much about the actual cost of 5 Billion or the upkeep but more about the explicit or implicit punishment for being away from the game.Heck, I grinded 3 days for a Type 7 back in the day before the huge inflation.

    Edit2: soemone that has similar questions: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ftsq55/about_the_fleet_carriers_unkeep/

    submitted by /u/Nettlecake
    [link] [comments]

    So Elite Dangerous is now aiming to turn into a Space Debt Simulator

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    Fleet Carriers suck. The amount of time spent on this and the outcome is stupid. I'd rather literally anything else, even a single skin, than fleet carriers as they are now.

    submitted by /u/skud14
    [link] [comments]

    Obsidian Ant - Fleet Carriers: How They Work, What They Do And More

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    Fleet Carriers - Content Reveal - 2nd April @ 6pm UTC, starts in ~6 hours

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:10 AM PDT

    You know you're going space crazy when the bloomin Zurara is your indicator that you're well on the way back home now. Only another 12,000 light years to go!

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 02:44 PM PDT

    Flight assist.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 11:54 AM PDT

    Just want to congratulate all "flight assist off" pilots I see around here. You're all superhuman to me. Been trying it and the thing just seems next to impossible. o7

    submitted by /u/Nercio
    [link] [comments]

    About the Fleet Carriers Unkeep

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:26 PM PDT

    Since my last post gained much visibility I thought to write a follow-up on the my considerations after I saw the announcement stream.

    As far as I understand the Fleet Carrier is manned by crew, which is mandatory and will cost you on weekly basis. The number of people of your crew is variable and so it is the cost. On the stream we saw a weekly cost of 10M, so let's say around that amount (probably more).

    That is where the FC weekly rent comes from.

    I asked in chat twice if there is any possibility whatsoever (disabling/taking it offline/physically unplug the power plant) to let the FC have 0 maintenance with reduced features, and I wasn't answered. So I assume the answer is no.

    So yeah, I think that settles it. You buy that think for 5b and then pay a weekly rent on it. You fails to pay/don't want to pay it anymore? easy peasy, you decommission it losing around 500M from the 5b of the initial investment and that's it. Thanks for the ride.

    As per the gameplay, they looked super excited for the player/based economy which supposedly would allow you to basically print money with a FC. Now let's put the things in prospective, shall we?

    You gain money with a FC applying a commissions on basic services that are available in most/all stations (nothing really unique). Plus selling/buying goods. Most likely this is only about player interactions, not NPC (and this is an important detail).

    To me, the sole way this is profitable is if you park the FC in a place where said services aren't available in the nearby systems and it's highly trafficked by players and those players requires some particular good constantly. Maybe this works for refuel and repair, probably ships transfers, hardly for selling ships and modules.

    Basically the sole way that comes to my mind to try to make some money out of it is to park it near a good mining spot, offering to buy e.g. LTD from random miners there, then transfer the FC to a selling spot and setting the selling price just low enough to turn players there into your delivery boys. Couple that with the fuel cost for (both) the trips, the competitions with other players' FCs, and I'd better off just mine myself.

    I will try the beta, if I got time, but if things won't change radically I won't see myself grind for a FC with so many other games available. Which is a real shame, I was looking forward to them.

    submitted by /u/Silyus
    [link] [comments]

    Day 3 of the great pilgrimage to Beagle Point.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    I'm not here to explain "How upkeep is fun and realistic". I'm here again to say upkeep is dumb and so is that 2 hour jump cycle.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    You can down vote and move on. Can't change my view on this. FDEV look at me!

    • It's really lame. I don't like it.
    • I don't lose my ship for not playing.
    • I just wanted a carrier to haul my ships around because I hated the ship transfer system. (delay voters, suck it)
    • Why can't I have robots and slaves so I pay nothing at all?
    submitted by /u/systemhendrix
    [link] [comments]

    Roughly 2 years playing, this is my first elite :D

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 02:51 PM PDT

    Radial

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 02:32 PM PDT

    I am that guy/idiot

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 06:33 AM PDT

    So after a long time putting if off, and a brief break from elite, i decide to get back on and start grinding for the guardian tech.

    My Krait is already equipped as a decent all purpose ship, so I plot my course and make my way to HD 63154, somehow managed to land right on the edge of the site.

    Ready to deploy into the SRV and start collecting what i need.....

    NO F#$&ING SRV ON MY SHIP!!!!

    submitted by /u/inojakal
    [link] [comments]

    NPCs and Fleet Carriers

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:46 PM PDT

    In the reveal or forums did Frontier say how NPCs will interact with fleet carriers? Will they refuel? Repair? Or will they not interact at all?

    submitted by /u/Zanelynn
    [link] [comments]

    Hello CMDRs, is this a common occurrence? Class IV gas giant orbiting around its star less than 5LY apart. It’s something I’ve not yet seen before but thought it was cool.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment