• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 7, 2020

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (July 07, 2020)

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (July 07, 2020)


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (July 07, 2020)

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    200,000 CMDRs on /r/EliteDangerous & Celebratory Giveaway!


    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous

    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily Q&A threads and the New Q&A FAQ.


    WikiCareer ChartLore (Brief) • ThargoidsSagittarius Eye MagazineThe Elite Squadron

    Game Update Summaries: CoreHorizonsBeyond2019-2020

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Happy Elite Dangerous Day!!

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:44 AM PDT

    The Gank Sir Ganksalot Challenge

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    SRV-WASP -- 3DRender -- FanArt

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:06 AM PDT

    DELACY Advert -- 3DRender -- FanArt

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 11:57 AM PDT

    Under the Cosmic Veil

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    Just did my first planetary landing! This game is just fantastic.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 11:12 PM PDT

    Press F to pay respect for these Anacondas

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:10 AM PDT

    I Think It's a Little More Than 'Earth-Like'

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    I think it's eyeballing me... (undiscovered black hole)

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    Give Gameplay

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:25 AM PDT

    Ultimate CMDR experience + Companion

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    Journeys Ahead

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 08:47 AM PDT

    Famous Explorer missions aren't very good.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    For those who don't know, Famous Explorer missions have the player taking a VIP a VERY long distance; the shortest I've seen is 1200ly, but there are some for upwards of 35000(yes, thirty five THOUSAND) light years.

    During this mission, you cannot be scanned more than twice, or you immediately fail the mission. This alone is bad enough, but even worse, the destinations are, inexplicably, always known locations.

    Let me say that again if it wasn't clear: A famous EXPLORER wants to go to a place with a TOURIST BEACON. I don't need to explain why this is ridiculous, I hope?

    Other than those two things, these missions are more or less identical to any other passenger mission. Low pay, irritating passengers, no benefits. A capped-out mission pays 50m, for over 30kly, while an in-bubble mission can pay 1/25th of that for a 15ly jump. Assuming a linear payscale, they should pay over four billion credits! Which is ridiculous of course, but it shows nicely just how terrible these missions are. In their current state, they're basically a novelty that maybe 1% of players will ever even think about taking.


    There are a few simple changes that could be made to seriously improve the Famous Explorer experience.

    Firstly, remove the 'no scanning' rule. It's just an annoyance, and can seriously be irritating if you need to dock for repairs or something. They're an explorer, not a smuggler, I shouldn't feel like I need to smuggle them into a station.

    I feel like this rule was imposed to force players to stay out in unexplored systems, but if so, it's a needlessly irritating and hackneyed system. There is a simple and consolidated solution for this problem, one that makes carrying a Famous Explorer not only acceptable, but wanted.

    The Famous Explorer installs an Astrometrics Lab in their Cabin!

    This lab can, in a very straightforward manner, solve every problem with the missions! Basically, this large sensor array would allow the Explorer to scan nearby systems for interesting intel, and pass some of that info along to the player.

    The No Scanning Problem

    Instead of punishing you for being scanned, have Famous Explorers give missions, which, much like other Passenger Missions, reduce happiness if ignored. These missions are ONLY given if the player is in discovered systems for too long, and they say something like this:

    "<Playername>, we've been in explored space for too long, the call of the Black is getting stronger. My astrometrics lab has discovered a nearby undiscovered system; would you please go there promptly?"

    Mission Objective: Travel to <Nearest Undiscovered System> in <time frame based on estimated travel time>.

    This solves the problem of forcing players into the black in a way that actually HELPS the player rather than hurting them!

    Benefiting the player while out in the Black.

    Another issue with the famous explorers is that they do very little while actually out in the black, making them feel more like a cargo item than a person. So, in lieu of the above mission, when the player has been in unexplored systems for a certain period of time, instead of an outright mission that changes satisfaction, the Famous Explorer gives alerts to the player.

    "<Playername>! My astrometrics lab has detected a nearby interesting Astronomical Object! If you're interested, travel to <Target System>, I'd be most interested in seeing what's there!"

    This will guide the player directly to an interesting undiscovered object, which could be anything, from simply a terraformable metal world, or an earthlike, or even unusual stellar phenomena or guardian sites.

    The end of the mission.

    The mission does need a target. The distant tourist locations are acceptable targets for these missions; it gives players a reason to go near these distant objects. But that doesn't mean they should be the ACTUAL destination. As the player nears the original target(within 1000ly), you'll get a message from the Famous Explorer.

    "Drat! My long-range sensors indicate that our original destination has already been explored - more than that, there's a TOURIST BEACON there! Blast! Well, there's nothing for it, we'll have to find a new discovery of our own. Go to <New Destination with possibility of interesting phenomena> instead. Perhaps we'll find something interesting there! Feel free to pass by the original destination if you like, it might still be interesting to see."

    Then, the player is directed to an undiscovered system nearby, and once they arrive there, the mission completes.

    "Well, we didn't find what we set out to find, but then, you never really do, hmm? You've been a good captain, <Playername>. As thanks, I'd be glad to pay you a preferential rate for your accumulated data when we return to the bubble."

    Reward: Initial Contract Fee + 10% bonus to all accumulated Exploration Data


    In the end, the Player is helped with their exploration and taking the Famous Explorer is actually a good thing!

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/DemiserofD
    [link] [comments]

    I dub this mountain Mt Stephen after my uncle who recently passed. It may not be a good way to remember him but now there is canyon is as big as his love and a mountain to see the beauty within

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 05:45 AM PDT

    My FC sitting right next to a black hole and 3xNeutron Stars in the system (It's a twin in the background). Oh and yes there is another black hole in this system! Well, let's hope my FC is not becoming the next Event Horizon...

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    Flying *is* the fun in this game

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 04:46 AM PDT

    For everyone complaining about there is too much grinding or there being nothing to do in this game, I really do believe that you are looking at all wrong. Here is why:

    I have left this game for a long time after everything I did to grind money or ships did get nerfed. Something like two months ago, I started playing again. I seriously did nothing other than flying with my Krait Mk2. Just some bounty hunting, entering into stations, mining (nothing serious) doing basic trading for like a few million per hour. I mean, nothing to be rich. It was really fun.

    Then, I started following this subreddit again. I learnt about how you can gain lots of credits in a short amount of time in some special systems with special conditions. I ground lots of money and bought me a few ships. It felt good until they got nerfed. After that, I realised the same mining I did before wasn't that fun anymore because it did not gain as much as money. It became, bad, I guess? Which made me realise that the problem was someone dictating me how to play in this subreddit. I mean, the reason I was playing this game because there is no other game which has the same flying feeling. As soon as my motivation became something other than flying and being in the space with my own spaceship, the game became boring and stale. I suggest everyone to keep doing what you love, without really caring about how to gain money fast. And believe me, most budget ships are really more fun than expensive but slow ships. I have a Corvette (Shinken) and Cutter (not even named yet) but I fly my Krait (Ronin).

    TL;DR: Don't even follow this subreddit and just do what you love the most, flying is more fun than everything else.

    submitted by /u/muhammedalperenyasar
    [link] [comments]

    I'm ready for a stealthy data grab from a planetary base.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    [Wallpaper] To celebrate yesterdays carrier trip to COLONIA I created this poster. FULL RES link in comments.

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 04:19 AM PDT

    Saying goodbye to Sagittarius A* as I make my way back to the Bubble!

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    Obligatory post stating I made my first Elite! *No ltd's were mined in the making of this message

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:09 AM PDT

    Finally got the ship I’ve said I wanted since I started playing this almost a year ago and I couldn’t be happier

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    Guardian site

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 09:23 AM PDT

    60 hours into the game, saw my first class B star on my way to Maia to buy meta-alloy, I'm in love :3

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    Anaconda Missile Away!!!

    Posted: 07 Jul 2020 04:04 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment