• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 21, 2021

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 08:50 AM PDT

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous


    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily Q&A threads and the New Q&A FAQ.


    WikiCareer ChartLore (Brief) • ThargoidsSagittarius Eye MagazineThe Elite Squadron

    Game Update Summaries: CoreHorizonsBeyond2019-2020

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Went to see a thargoid base with my boi

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 03:47 AM PDT

    Observing the Majestic-Class Interdictors under repair.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 01:12 AM PDT

    Be surprised by the photo realism of certain shots ... How I love exploring on Odyssey !

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 02:34 AM PDT

    So i know he is a cop but why does he have a badge next to his name and regular security doesn't?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 07:07 AM PDT

    Finally headed home to Jameson to check my paint level, 0%

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 07:08 AM PDT

    Quick Rant: New UI Buttons

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 06:41 AM PDT

    "Remove engineering" right next to "swap module"? No confirmation? Seriously? Yeah, thanks to my somewhat old and clunky HOTAS keys it changed buttons as I clicked and now my grade 5 and experimental are gone. Who the hell had this glorious idea? 0/10 for UI design this expansion.

    submitted by /u/RiftSecInc
    [link] [comments]

    Finished building the button box. Need help with mapping this set up. Will print stickers to help me navigate through this.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 02:28 AM PDT

    Just kill all the Encoded Mats (Data) Community Goals already. There is ZERO gameplay anyway...

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:06 AM PDT

    These are completely useless. There is no way to get involved without either mindless grind, repetitive stress injury and massive boredom from farming the HIP site or "cheating" with using macros.

    Thanks to the bad UI, even down-trading and selling "legitimately" accumulated data (just casual play and scanning, not repeated farming one site) is a mindless grind of thousands (sic!) of mouse clicks or key presses. Gameplay in these CGs is 99% clicking, 1% play. Give us Exploration data CGs or just more Trade / Combat CGs, at least these involve some actual gameplay...

    Imagine the CG result actually mattered, weren't so one-sided and there was a big competition between the two sides? All the players would have to farm and down-trade with macros anyway, since the other side would be doing it too. That's no "emergent gameplay", that's stupidity.

    CGs like this one need to be gone. Or at least get a total material/engineering overhaul*, but good luck with that ;)

    *: needed anyway, but nobody expects FDEV to pull that one off.

    submitted by /u/AhistoricallyCorrect
    [link] [comments]

    First Mid-G landing of this expedition. It was worth it. =)

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 01:25 PM PDT

    I’m just a simple man trying to make my way in the galaxy.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 10:26 AM PDT

    They installed atmospheric speedbumps at Jameson because of all the CG traffic.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 07:03 AM PDT

    Hydras run away from Hyperdiction Combat now? Hydra's are the meanest though!

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:52 AM PDT

    Finally :)

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 02:10 AM PDT

    An Honest Opinion of Every Ship I've Flown [Day 4]: The Cobra Mk III

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 09:50 AM PDT

    Long, heavy sigh

    ...Truthfully I've been dreading this review.

    It's a bit poetic that immediately after reviewing one of my favorite ships, we must nosedive into one of the two ships that I actively dislike. I've flown a little less than half of all of the ships in ED, but something tells me that this will be, bar-none, my least popular review. You'll see why in just a moment.

    As always, this is purely an opinion thread. I do not intend to bash anyone's choices, mock anyone's preferences, or give advice on what is or isn't a good ship. I am merely laying out my opinion, and you can do with that what you will. With that out of the way, let's begin.

    ---

    TL;DR: The Cobra III takes the cake as my least favorite ship in all of ED (that I've flown so far, of course). It's certainly not bad, especially not early on, but out of every ship I've flown in the game, the Cobra III was probably my biggest purchase regret, and doesn't even remotely live up to both the hype and the wiki page, at least for me. For me personally, the only thing worse than "bad" is mediocrity, and unfortunately the Cobra III is a very mediocre multipurpose vessel... but like I said, that's just my opinion.

    ---

    First, some context: I first purchased my Cobra III in the WHN (Witch Head Nebula) while on tour in my ASPX days. I had been playing Elite for a little less than 4 months now, and I had still been following this formula of selling my previous ship to get my next. So, on a fateful day with rain, I finally made the decision to break that cycle.

    I stripped my ASP of any and all weapons, armor, and unnecessary modules, to save on some credits for my next vessel. I decided I didn't want to repeat the past: the Viper IV was tried and true, but I wanted to branch out and explore more options. I had narrowed it down to 2 vessels, and ultimately the deciding factor was the cost of outfitting: this was going to be a military vessel, and I needed to cut corners on cost as much as possible. My two options were the Diamondback Scout (review coming soonish!) and the Cobra Mk III.

    At first, I somewhat liked the Cobra. It was a very nimble vessel, but this is where I ran into my first issue: I fly predominantly FA-ON (it's just a little easier and I'm lazy), and the lateral thrusters are weak. Or at least, unreasonably weak for its maneuverability rating of 5. This makes getting behind nimbler opponents (like Vipers for example) a huge chore, and the yaw speed isn't good enough to make up for that. At least with ships like the Orca, your Yaw is fast enough that instead of rolling and pitching, I roll and yaw. It works well.

    Asthetically, I understand that the Cobra III is Iconic, but Iconic doesn't automatically equal beautiful. I get that people love the design, but the wedge shape isn't really for me. Tack onto the fact that the canopy is a bit bizarre and we have the ill-rated offset pilot seat, the Cobra just isn't a very pretty ship to me.

    For a ship as small as the Cobra, the hardpoint placement is a nightmare. The mediums are placed directly in front of the canopy. Perfectly reasonable, right? Alright, then why are the small hardpoints on the underside of the ship, spaced as far apart as possible, at the very back near the engines?? Couldn't FDEV just put the small directly under the medium? It would allow for so much better firing arcs, and maybe eliminate the need for gimbals altogether! The small hardpoints are placed just far enough that I couldn't get fixed to work, and gimbals only partially resolved the issue. You still can't track a target that's pitching higher than you with your small, meaning that kinetic weapons are effectively useless on the small hardpoints. Railguns won't converge, gimballed multis/cannons can't track, and when I tried missiles - which don't NEED either of those things - I had ammunition issues. All around a bad experience.

    As an exploration vessel, the Cobra is kind of sub-par. It's perfectly viable as a bubble taxi, and a pretty good early-game courier, but not much else, as even with me at my most downsized, I still could only get to around 32 LY (w/o booster, G3 engineering). Again, perfectly acceptable for a bubble taxi, but not quite good enough for long term exploration.* Perhaps an FSD booster would help.

    *NOTE: obviously I'm comparing apples to oranges here. Saying the Cobra III isn't a good exploration vessel with only a little bit of effort is hardly fair, so here's this Cobra build, where I tore the guts out of this ship, WITH an FSD booster - I still capped at 52-ish light years, which STILL isn't as much as my DBX, which DOESN'T have an FSD booster, and isn't even (that) optimized. Downsizing is a double edged sword, and I try to avoid it where I can, so the fact that I have to slaughter what makes this ship somewhat usable just to get good jump numbers only exacerbates my point - it's just not as good as a dedicated exploration vessel.

    I won't listen to a single argument against this: the shields are awful. Even with an A4 shield generator (no bi-weaves for once!) they're just peanuts compared to the Vulture, the ASPX, or even the Viper IV, which is only barely more expensive! Now FDEV could try to justify this with shield boosters, but there's a major problem with this: you only have 2 utility mounts. Furthermore, if you try to use guardian packages, this eats up valuable space, and will most likely give you power management issues.

    Additionally, if you're going to have bad shields, shouldn't you at least have good armor to make up for it? Well, unfortunately no, because even though the Cobra has some decent-ish armor strength, it's still an armor hardness of 35 - a simple C1 cannon can rip through your armor. Meanwhile, both diamondbacks have armor hardness of 42 - 8 whole points higher! These numbers do make a difference, and just that 8 point difference means that the DBS can resist more damage from both cannons and multicannons. You could argue that the Viper IV has low armor hardness too, and that's fair, but remember: the Viper IV has powerful shields, meaning you don't have to rely (as much) on armor. So, similar to the ASPX, if you somehow get all of your weapons to converge on a target, it's still a glass cannon.

    The trade numbers seem pretty impressive, on paper. 60 tonnes shieldless with docking implements and SCA, 64 without. Not too shabby for a 200K ship, right? Well, you better make sure that if you run shieldless that you're in a safer system, because if you get interdicted, your armor isn't that great, and you'll be torn to shreds. As added insult to injury, if you even consider wanting a shield, you better just settle for a Class 4, because in order to fit a class 3, you have to commit module heresy - a sin that I find simply unforgivable. Come on, why doesn't the Cobra have ANY class 3 internal modules? Frontier could EASILY swap two of the C2 internals for a C3, and it wouldn't even affect the balancing that badly! It's bad design on Frontier's part, and I don't appreciate it. I don't want to have to sacrifice 16 tonnes where I can sacrifice 8 instead.

    Let me clarify something: the Cobra III is not BAD. I would gladly fly a Cobra III over a Sidewinder, or at least long enough for me to get to the ASPX. It's mediocre, and that doesn't sit well with me at all. I was excited to try out the Cobra III after finding so much hype around the craft - and to be let down this badly really stings.

    So what am I getting at? Is the Cobra III just an overhyped let down of a ship not deserving of my spaceport slot or money? Is anyone who loves the Cobra III just wrong and stupid?!?!

    ...Of course not.

    What I'm trying to get at is that the Cobra III is a mediocre ship for me. I've heard really good stories from a lot of my squadmates about the Cobra, and if it works for them, it works for them. I'm sure there's plenty of love out there for the Cobra III: it doesn't need mine too. So, if the Cobra III is a favorite of yours, then cherish it, just like I cherish(ed) my Viper IV.

    Besides, gatekeeping what is and isn't a good ship is stupid. Don't be that guy.

    This was a long one. Probably longer than my other reviews. I didn't really mean to drag this out as far as I did, but I had a lot to say on the Cobra III, and if you read this, I'm simply happy you listened, whether you agree or disagree. As always, thanks for reading. Next time: the Diamondback Explorer!

    Stay Safe, and Fly Dangerous. o7

    submitted by /u/JesterTheSheep
    [link] [comments]

    I've played this game for over 310 hours, and only just noticed you can cycle through the camera views and actually see what is behind you...

    Posted: 20 Jul 2021 07:32 PM PDT

    Finaly....go to Sirius

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:28 AM PDT

    Hi, I need some help from a knowable xbox commander. I'm trying to connect with a friend on xbox but having issues.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 03:18 PM PDT

    We managed to get on together last night, but I had to go to the same system after it failing to connect, both had to land at the same station before he could join. Tonight we are in the same system in a private game/group, we can see each other on the galaxy map but can't see each other in space, both right next to the nav beacon. When I try to invite my friend to multicrew in my Python the connection fails. Can anyone help because I'm pulling my hair out and I think my friend is losing interest fast! o7

    submitted by /u/Blastomussa1
    [link] [comments]

    SPEAR: enforcers CG/Deciat anti-outlaw patrol

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 02:53 PM PDT

    Activities with friends?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 10:50 AM PDT

    Hi. I've put in about ~60 hours into Elite: Dangerous but haven't played for about a year until only a couple weeks ago when a couple of my friends got back into it and raced ahead of my progress. Right now the best activities we can do together is bounty hunting and trade loops, but these aren't enough to pull in another friend who played before alone and got burnt out.

    What are some of your favorite wing activities that are tantalizing enough to get people flying again?

    submitted by /u/AffixBayonets
    [link] [comments]

    Finally found the speed limit on my ride for inner system fsd. Anyone know if this is a hard cap for everyone or if better frame shift drives will get you going faster?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 10:45 AM PDT

    Haven't been to Maia since last year. It's nice to see the Nebula from the surface!

    Posted: 20 Jul 2021 08:57 PM PDT

    Where did all the Thargoids go?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2021 11:42 AM PDT

    Checked out six Goid systems today and yesterday, scanned and searched every class of NHSS... only level 4 NHSS were spawning the tiny scouts. Did they remove the Thargoid interceptors?

    They only time I was able to find a Medusa was one hyperdicted me. I attacked it and it ran away... which they have never backed down before Odyssey.

    submitted by /u/Decent_Temporary_593
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment