• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 29, 2019

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (October 29, 2019)

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (October 29, 2019)


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (October 29, 2019)

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 09:49 AM PDT

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous

    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily threads and the New Q&A FAQ.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Enhanced account security: Are you a robot?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 05:46 AM PDT

    It's been Awhile, but I'm home!

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 10:01 PM PDT

    So I've overlaid ED Galaxy map over WarHammer 40k one. Anyone think there's 40k Easter eggs out there?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 04:33 AM PDT

    The Imperial Cutter [Elite Dangerous]

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 08:33 AM PDT

    The Vettley Hallows

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 07:23 AM PDT

    The burning heart of the void. It calls to me.

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:07 AM PDT

    Laser mining made lazy.

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 11:23 AM PDT

    I have a T16000 hotas, with mining lasers mapped to secondary fire and collectors on primary. Realized a) that I spend a lot of time holding down the fire button with my thumb and b) I wasn't using the slider on the base of the stick for anything.

    So I mapped mining lasers in my Cutter to "down" on the slider. Now I nose up to a high-painite rock, flip the slider down, and handsfree until the asteroid is depleted. Lean back, sip my tea, collectors do their thing, then slider up and off to the next rock.

    It feels much more Imperial that way.

    Edit: kept the secondary fire mapped to the thumb button but also to the down slider (in the second mapping column). This way I can still use them normally in combat.

    submitted by /u/carpe_simian
    [link] [comments]

    Onionhead Corvette

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 03:04 PM PDT

    The guys in charge of the art department of this game are awesome!

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 07:54 AM PDT

    Finally made it to Sol, she's a beauty.

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 04:15 AM PDT

    I tried to make a mock in-game station ad from my favorite video.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 09:28 PM PDT

    FDL in front of (almost) everything.

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 11:47 AM PDT

    FDL in front of (almost) everything.

    I'm pretty high right now :)

    Here is an album with more pictures of FDL in front of things: this is an imgur album link you want to click on.

    Idk how I'm ended up here, I just wanted to do a meme screenshot of an FDL in front of some things, so I started a couple of neutron jumps yesterday evening, but after some time it escalated quickly...

    Ps: the reason it's only "almost" because I'm just 2810 ly high now, so I should go about 300 ly higher to be in front everything, but I didn't even thought I will do this, and I don't have jumponium mats in my inventory...

    submitted by /u/Zool2107
    [link] [comments]

    Here I come guys

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 07:21 AM PDT

    Kiddo says "IS THAT A RED VELVET PANCAKE!?" "...Yes, yes it is."

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 04:11 PM PDT

    Why is FerDeLance OP!?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 07:29 AM PDT

    Beautiful sites on my way home

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 04:24 AM PDT

    17,966. And still no Raxxla. How many systems have you visited?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 02:29 PM PDT

    Rings and more rings!

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 05:02 AM PDT

    Two Class-3 gas giants orbiting one another.

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 06:28 PM PDT

    Sensor readings confirmed: uninhabitability status shredded

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 08:04 AM PDT

    Need Space Buds

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 12:49 PM PDT

    I've been kind of in the dumps lately, so I'd like to work on that and see about joining in on a friendly community.

    Ideal: - Yuri Grom - Discord - Build advice friendly - Active participation not always necessary. - PvE/Exploration friendly

    I hope to see all of you soon, commanders. I should clarify that I am no warmonger. I am more satisfied with the PvE and hope to interact with Thargoids soon. I am fairly new, after all.

    submitted by /u/DSofren
    [link] [comments]

    Did they add a "Pointless Detour" Option to the Route Plotter?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 05:26 PM PDT

    The storage dimensions of Elite, how are they coping?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 10:20 AM PDT

    So, before I start. Yes, I did google around and found some information but nothing explaining the details I'm after.

    So Elite has around 400 billion stars. Of course, they are with a few exceptions all procedurally generated via their StarForge system that simulates the creation of stars and star systems through gravitational interaction for a few rounds after everything accumulated and then some more iterations until it's stable. So far so good. If I remember correctly less than 0,01% of Elite's galaxy have been discovered so far so the amound of system data is negligible.

    But how do they actually know were to put those generated systems? They have a 3D map with all explored and unexplored stars. Even if we only assume 3 32bit floating point variables for the position (which should be ok precision wise for the map) and an 64bit unsigned long long int as an ID you'd end up with 20Bytes per star. Doesn't sound much, I know but multiply this by 400,000,000,000 and you'll end up with a heckload of data. Roughly 7.451TB to be more precise.

    Sure, this isn't out of the realm of data storage per se but then. If you use a MySQL DB (and iirc they use MySQL for their universe databases and MongoDB for player stuff) you'll end up with one huge database file. That should rule out any ext2 or ext3 partition (and of course any form of FAT) and leave you with NTFS, ext4 or ZFS.

    And then there are the performance issues. A MySQL DB with a billion rows is usually only semi-usable. Joins and any other bit of actions with a bit of complexity might take hours to days.

    So how are they doing it?

    submitted by /u/bowrilla
    [link] [comments]

    Is this a new bug or what??

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 04:04 PM PDT

    I accidentally blew up a stupid ship during combat (fkr got in my way) boom there goes 5,000 credit bounty. The best part?! I can't fkn pay it off !! Like anywhere??? Not in the HOME system that issued the damn bounty , not no interstellar factors. NOTHING..... is my ship fked or what??

    submitted by /u/Titus303
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment