• Breaking News

    Friday, November 1, 2019

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (November 01, 2019)

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (November 01, 2019)


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (November 01, 2019)

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 09:49 AM PDT

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous

    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily threads and the New Q&A FAQ.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Here is a little meme for you guys

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 03:14 AM PDT

    Star Split

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    Black Hole lensing

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 06:02 AM PDT

    I'm in the Club!!

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    Finally made triple Elite.

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    Broken price in a ruble Steam store. (1 USD = ~67 RUB)

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 09:17 AM PDT

    Coffee break with a view.

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 10:20 AM PDT

    Mitterand Hollow

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 01:53 PM PDT

    My first Ammonia World

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 06:00 AM PDT

    Chieftain earning it's name of "Silent Vengeance" - https://youtu.be/gkYzpblsgjo

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    I imagine many commanders use their galactic pictures as smartphone background. Let's get this going.

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 11:29 AM PDT

    First time posting- Found my first Earth-like ouside the bubble! (Synuefe YE-Q C21-4 A3)

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 07:02 AM PDT

    Hmmm.......looks safe (I would get an insane neutron star for my last jump lmao)

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 11:03 AM PDT

    First Pulsar

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    The dumbest two people in Elite: Dangerous: A tragic tale.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 05:41 PM PDT

    Last night, after thorough self-reflection, I'd like to announce that we were clearly the two lowest IQ human beings in the 400 billion systems of the milky way. If there was an Olympics event for two educated, fully functional adults making an absolute meal out of the SIMPLEST task possible in the whole game, we would not only have been awarded the gold medal, we would be under immediate suspicion for doping. Hear ye a tale of woe.

    As the icon in the center of the screen spun and spun, I let out an exasperated sigh. "Mate, I think the player population has dropped too much for group matchmaking, only solo matches are running. I'm gonna leave the queue."

    It had been at least a year since I'd played any games with my old buddy Scotty. Life got in the way of our twice-a-week sessions of Mechwarrior Online, and now, after making a commitment to make the time to hang out online again, it seemed that wasn't to be. "Dude, let me get back to you, I'll find a co-op game we can get into, but time is going to be tight, because I'm going into exams."

    Scotty is in his late 50's. He's been a gamer for decades, but is set in his ways, gets frustrated easily, and doesn't take to new things quickly. He's not uncoordinated, he's a pilot in real life, but new control schemes, menu layouts and things like that are serious barriers to his enjoyment, and I just want him to enjoy the experience. I kept all this in mind as I went through 2019 co-op games lists. Factorio? God no. I accept that game for what it is, and it's not us. Portal 2? You mean "no, THIS, over HERE" simulator 2011? No thanks. Borderlands 3? A serious contender. Then I realized I'd already put in over a hundred hours into the perfect game for him.

    Elite: Dangerous.

    I know the learning curve is steep, steeper for him due to technological 'demons' that plague him in a particularly 'Mr. Bean' kinda way. but I'm patient, and I know the system well enough. I'm willing to hold his hand through every step until he's proficient, drip-feeding him mission styles and content. He would go in completely spoiler-free, knowing nothing about planetary landings and Thargoids until we're actually DOING IT. In essence, I wanted to give him the ultimate Elite: Dangerous experience.

    I got him to take photos of his mini-keyboard (he's left-handed, so he uses a symmetrical game-pad thing for his WASD controls) and his mouse. I sent him a semi-roleplay invitation with instructions to install the game with Horizons, make a new character, ensure the starting location of LHS 3447 is selected, and be engines warm on the landing pad by 17:00 on Thursday 31st October (It was Sunday the 27th at this point). Easy…. Right?

    I pulled out my HOTAS and VR headset, blew the dust off my Krait MkII sitting somewhere out near Deciat and went mining, trying to remember how to play the game. I used photoshop to make him a key-bindings map based on his photos. I know, great friend. I logged off and got into study mode for a few days. My plan, when Thursday rolled around, was to get him out of the station (easier now with new auto-launch), and have him doing basic maneuvers, learning how to use his FSD while I made the 12 or so jumps back to him and took him on his first 'mission' of jumping to a new system and docking at a station. I'd buy an eagle and join him on some low-level data/trade runs.

    Unfortunately, the magnitude of ensuing shenanigans was completely unexpected.

    Thursday arrived, I was tired after a particularly brutal O.D exam, and he was, as instructed, engines warm on the landing pad. But… the wrong landing pad. "Mate, you're in the Matet system. Wipe that character and start a new one. That's in a beginner zone I can't access, it'll take you 2 minutes." 10 Minutes/skipping tutorials later. "There's no option to choose the starting system." Ok, that's weird, I'm sure I saw a tutorial with options, but maybe it was on a dev diary video where they had more stuff available to them than the average person. "That's alright, I'll get you to jump to an adjacent system and I'll meet you there." He didn't like the way I'd set up the keys. I use a HOTAS so I don't play with mouse and WASD. But mouse x as roll or yaw became a 20-minute ordeal of not being able to find the bindings (it was under mouse, not flight controls). Meanwhile I've already made it to the adjacent system, bought an eagle, fitted it out with pew pews, and doing laps around the sun while talking him through it on voice chat. He's so close, only one system over….

    "Press 1, it will open up the galaxy map. You need to click on the closest system to you, your newbie ship can't jump far." "Which one?" "Any of them, it doesn't matter. I'll get to you." "Now click plot route." Ok. "Now you need to jump to that system. Get far enough away from the station-" "How do I see that?" "Just turn around, if the station is a couple of kilometers away, you're far enough." "Ok, wait, now I've lost where I am…"

    Another 10 minutes of explaining the scanner/radar thing and how to line up targets, followed by 5 minutes of rebinding keys. "Ok, I'm facing the system." "Are your landing gear and cargo scoop lights orange?" "Yes" "And your hardpoints are stowed?" "I think so." "Alright, throttle up and hit the frameshift drive button." "Alright here I go………… I'm getting a message about a capacitor or something…." (some astute readers would realize something here was… off) I sighed. "What?" "Yeah it's saying insufficient capacitor."

    What the hell…

    I was confused. I got him to recheck the distance to the star. Check his jump range. I got him to send me a screenshot. This was an ordeal in itself – I learned that someone could be part of online communities for over a decade and never know what 'ctrl-v' does. I couldn't see anything wrong with it. I went onto the elite dangerous discord help and sent them the screenshot. "He doesn't have the system targeted." Dammit, I missed something obvious. 10 minutes later we've bound a 'next system in route' button, rebound 4 others, and we're ready to go again. Same message about insufficient power in the capacitor. "Maybe put pips to engines?" Nope. What.

    Googling provided the answer of upgrading the power distributor. Surely not…. How can you even do a mission with the base sidewinder if you can't leave the starting system…. Is it the latest patch? Have they changed stuff? Does he need to do the tutorials to leave the newbie system? "What color is your game launcher?" "Orange.." "Do you have Horizons, the expansion I told you to get in the initial message?" "No…." Back to steam. Luckily all the data is loaded already. "Ok, make a new character, this time it might give you the option to start in a different system." It didn't. It goes straight from 'New game' to the tutorial, to making a new character, to Matet apparently.

    We tried everything. Different systems to jump to. Relogging. Restarting the computer. I got him to download remote desktop software in the hopes that it would work when full-screen so I could troubleshoot, to no avail. I'm tired, it's 10:00pm. I'm on 3 hours sleep. I just want to see his spaceship through the cockpit glass. That's the new goal. I sent one more screenshot through to the help discord channel. And the answer came back…

    "Is…… he pressing boost?"

    Fuck. Me. He's been spending the last 2 hours boosting at the closest star. Mashing the button until he runs out of juice. He'd literally read the full message out to me. "Boost Failed: Insufficient energy in capacitor," and I'd totally missed it. I am an idiot. I laughed so hard I was crying. My vive fell off my face. It's ok! It's all going to be ok! I'm going to get to see you, face to face, cockpit to cockpit, before the night is over! How could anything else possibly prevent this…..

    He jumped to the system. My eagle was a couple of jumps away because I was just doing some laps. "I can't stop or reverse… what's going on?" "It's ok, relax, you're in supercruise, just throttle back and hit the FSD button again and I'll come to you." "WHAT?? I don't have a target, where am I jumping to!?" "No, this will drop you OUT of supercruise and into normal space." "I'm IN normal space…." "No you're not…" "Man, my back hurts hunched over this laptop, I'm going to call it a night." No motherfucker. I want to wave at you from my cockpit. It's been 3 and a half hours total now. "Just press the FSD button, I'm about to jump into the system." "Oh hey, I can reverse again." "Yeah mate." Crap. I'd forgotten that just because my Krait can hop across the galaxy doesn't mean that the eagle can too…. Low fuel….. Goddamn it. "Mate, we're going to meet at the closest station…. You need to follow my instructions very carefully….."

    Reader: He did not follow my instructions very carefully.

    He charged up his FSD. I explained the distance and speed bars, I explained the coutdown timer. "You want that timer to say 7 seconds, and keep it at 7 seconds." "I can't see the timer, there's yellow rings in the way." "Ok man, just pitch up or down a tiny bit so you can see the timer." "But then I won't be pointing to the station." *sigh* "Just do it." "Yeah but then…." "Just do it!" "OHMYGODIJUSTFLEWPAST!" 5 U-turns, a conversation about 75% throttle, and careful reassurance later he is creeping, edging, nudging towards the station. "Ok, I'm a couple of light seconds away…. Is that close enough?" "No… that's not close enough… the distance needs to be in the blue zone…." "But can't I just drop out and fly the rest of the way?" "No…. it will take literal days…." "Ok. It's telling me its safe to drop out. I'm very close." "Is the distance in the blue?" "I think so." "Ok, hit the FSD button." He drops 80kms out… I didn't even know that was possible. I've always dropped hundreds of kms out, or right into the instance 10kms from the station.

    "Dude, I'm done for the night, my back hurts." "NO! I will not sleep until I see you through my cockpit! Point towards the station and fly. I'm coming right towards you! You can boost all you want this time!" I'm still laughing/crying at this point. "Ok!" "Right, we got this, we're going to make it happen!" 80km, 70km, 60km. "Can you see my purple lasers?" I FA-off tumble and fire, it's my victory lap. We have finally made it. 50km, 40km. Nothing can stop this. "Hey, I can't reduce my throttle." Oh my god. "What? Why do you want to reduce your throttle?" "Well I want control of my ship…." "Ok, you probably got a facebook notification or something dumb that took focus from the game window. Alt tab out, click the window, or alt tab back in." "That's not helping. Nothing's working." "It's ok, just fly straight, we're almost there." "Maybe it's my game pad." "Don't worry about it, fix it in 2 minutes." He plugs and unplugs the game pad I hear the USB ding.

    "I'm mashing buttons but nothing is working." 25km, 20km… I can hear him hitting random keys. Through his laptop speakers, into his microphone, through discord and into my headphones comes the sound……. "Frame Shift Drive Charging." He can't stop it. He doesn't remember the button.

    submitted by /u/Khaocracy
    [link] [comments]

    My first anaconda

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 08:00 AM PDT

    ISWR - A 24/7 galactic weather report in our Elite Dangerous galaxy

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 09:40 AM PDT

    Asteroid belts

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 02:15 PM PDT

    Asteroid belts would be pretty cool. Imagine a ring of random large rocks spaced about 20 to 30 light seconds apart, each rock having one or two hot spots, with a station or two anchored off of some especially large rocks.

    submitted by /u/AvikaAvasarala
    [link] [comments]

    Don't hate the Krait

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 12:33 AM PDT

    Type 10 for life!

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    Jameson here I come.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 10:05 PM PDT

    3D Render - Limpy The Limpet

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 10:55 PM PDT

    This is how my first Anti-Xeno activity ended...

    Posted: 01 Nov 2019 04:30 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment