• Breaking News

    Friday, April 10, 2020

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (April 10, 2020)

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (April 10, 2020)


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here. (April 10, 2020)

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous

    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily threads and the New Q&A FAQ.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    First time arriving at Hutton Orbital only to realize there are no large landing pads...

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 06:41 AM PDT

    Is it really too much to ask to have a bridge in the fleet carrier?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 05:29 AM PDT

    I can't be the better only person who has played for years and desired nothing more than to pilot a capital ship (space legs excluded.) I am extremely disappointed that we can't fly these beautiful ships ourselves. Even minimally. I have taken almost a year long break after getting almost 6 billion in assets, you can bet your ass I'm not selling them all AT A LOSS to pick up something that punishes me for not playing and has no point to buying in the first place. This is a one way ticket back to the sidewinder, hundreds, if not thousands of hours of grinding and hard work gone in a matter of weeks.

    submitted by /u/AfosSavage
    [link] [comments]

    Fleet Carriers will be very expensive they said. Only few people will be able to afford them they said. I'll present to you: Borann

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 05:43 AM PDT

    Landed for my first time!

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 08:42 AM PDT

    A E S T H E T I C

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 12:01 PM PDT

    You can fly in between a planet’s rings. Talk about a trench run!

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    Highlight of my week: grabbing a 24-million Cr bounty in Borann

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 10:59 AM PDT

    TLDR: got insanely lucky, killed CMDR Andcups for a 24-million Credit bounty, was stoked

    Screenshots: here

    Story:

    I've been running combat missions out of Irula, a lot of assassination and pirate-faction massacres in Borann, to which end I hang out in the Hazardous RESs around Borann A 2. This evening I'd just taken out a wing of Federal Dropships, my hull was at 70% and I needed to put my supper in the oven so I left my ship above the plane of the asteroids with four pips in shields (risky, I know, but I like to live dangerously).

    I returned probably 3 minutes later and saw two Anacondas in contacts -- one of which was an Elite CMDR. I hailed him and noticed he was under attack, so I headed in his direction, initially with the intention to assist -- but then I noticed his attackers were Federal Agents. He was wanted, and his shields were around 35%. It was a chance no right-thinking opportunist could afford to pass up.

    As a dishonourable rogue with no regard for fair play, I opened fire along with the Federal Agents. He fought back for a while, and then tried to jump out with about 15% hull. But I landed a few missile salvos and he popped -- yielding a bounty of 24 million fucking Credits!

    I could not believe my luck in this whole episode. It was delightful.

    (When I got to the station I screenshotted the bounty manifest so we can tell which factions he's been killing. I looked him up afterwards and apparently he's a fairly well known pirate CMDR.)

    submitted by /u/ugubriat
    [link] [comments]

    Those who purchased carriers hoping for a cockpit view.....

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    Fleet Carriers: Minimum Viable Product

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    So, I'm not going to go into the upkeep, jump distance, and other balancing issues. I'm plenty livid about those too as many of us are but that's being discussed everywhere.

    What I'd like to talk about is more from a technical perspective. So while many of us agree that they (completely) missed the mark with fleet carriers, I'd like to describe my theory on how that happened so spectacularly. To start, we need to recognize one thing: Fleet carriers are built on Pre-Existing Station Services.

    At a station, if it has the shipyard capability, you can store and retrieve ships, buy and sell ships, etc. These menus and functionalities are a single service, separate from other services.

    Why does the shipyard module force you to buy and sell ships just to store your own? Probably because... The service already existed that way, and they don't have the budget to modify it to do any more or any less.

    The reason ships and modules come in packages? Because they're probably the same packages of ships and modules you can find at any station. Occasionally a station will be sold out of one module, but for the most part they're not random. Each station has one of X amount of pre-defined ship and module packages. All they've done is allowed us to pick which ones our carriers get.

    Why did we get a commodities market, black market, and redemption officer that almost no one asked for? Probably because they already exist for stations and were cheaper to implement than building anything new. They knew a reveal of only shipyard and outfitting wouldn't go over well, so they took the path of quantity over quality.

    Why does the fleet carrier have a 1 hour spool up time? I'd bet it's because it needs to propagate the new location across all of the other servers ahead of time in order to accurately sync when the jump occurs. It's just like megaship jumps are. They're still technically a station, and changing their location on the map probably isn't designed to change on a whim the way regular ships are. Also not something they have in the budget to modify.

    The original reveal for fleet carriers showed off brand new game mechanics. Things that would have to be built predominantly from scratch. They probably had a meeting where the decision was passed down to cut development resources for ED projects across the board. They had to make some tough decisions about what they could still deliver with that in mind, and they delivered game mechanics that have always existed, except now they're semi-mobile and come from a different set of landing pads. Everything they delivered is disgraceful, definitely, but I think it's indicative of the greater issue at hand:

    They don't have the budget for real development of ED anymore.

    Furthermore, I would expect that if they're as close to the breaking point as I think they are, if the paid 2020 update (that's likely going to suffer the same low budget developmental issues) fails to meet sales expectations, the game will likely be dead from a developmental perspective. I think these are the final days, CMDRs. Enjoy them while you can.

    PS: Remove Upkeep.

    submitted by /u/TallgeeseIV
    [link] [comments]

    This is the main purpose of this game (SCHEAU PHOEA MI-S E4-18 3 C)

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    Forbidden love

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 10:54 PM PDT

    Timelapse of two dancing stars

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 03:09 PM PDT

    The major imbalance of credit earning from different roles - mining, bounty hunting, exploration, etc - is completely against the original project vision: "Dev Diary 3 - Player Roles" (2m27s timestamp)

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 08:32 AM PDT

    Ladies and gentlemen, you’ve heard of asp in front of things? Well now I present to you, Chieftain in front of things!

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    Below the galaxy

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 11:08 AM PDT

    Clean Video Capture : Fleet Carrier Arrival

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    Our best negotiation tool in trying to remove FC upkeep entirely

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    It may not mean much to some of you thousand hour veterans, but I've been playing since 2016 (lightly at first and only seriously as of a couple weeks ago) and got my first Elite rank. Honestly didn't think I'd get one due to the complexity of this game, but now, I've come to love that about ED. o7

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    Even Frontier forgot what the Carriers Core Services included only 4 months ago. (Gamescom reveal)

    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 07:18 PM PDT

    Day 36: Check GalNet. No new news. Check out port window, ringed Ammonia world. Check starboard window, ringed dwarf star. Continue plotting course ahead...

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    Name that ship! (Can’t think of a name...)

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 12:11 PM PDT

    Setting aside FCs... why can’t we buy these Apollo robots I see on the holo-billboards?

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 09:35 AM PDT

    They look pretty sweet. Be cool to have a crew member I don't have to share a cut with

    submitted by /u/Friend-of-Lem
    [link] [comments]

    The station in Alpha Centauri

    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    There is a station in Alpha Centauri They call the Hutton Orbital And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy And God I know I'm one

    My mother was a manager She bought my first ship My father was a traider Down in The Buble

    Now the only thing a traider needs Is a good ship and big cargo hold And the only time he's satisfied Is when he gets the Hutton Orbital

    Oh ,mother, tell your children Not to do what I have done Spend your lives in way to Hutton Orbital

    Well, I got one foot on the platform The other foot on the Python I'm goin' back to Alpha Centauri To wear that ball and chain

    Well, there is a station in Alpha Centauri They call the Hutton Orbital And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy And God I know I'm one.....

    Original: "House of the rising sun" The Animals

    submitted by /u/sealofsword
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment