• Breaking News

    Saturday, December 4, 2021

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!

    Elite Dangerous [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!


    [DAILY Q&A] Ask and answer any questions you have about the game here!

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 10:00 AM PST

    Greetings, Commanders! This is the Daily Q&A post for /r/EliteDangerous


    If you have any questions about any topic, whether it be for the moderators, tips and tricks for piloting or general gameplay/development questions please post here!

    Please check new comments and help answer to the best of your ability so we can see this community flourish!

    Remember to check previous daily Q&A threads and the New Q&A FAQ.


    WikiCareer ChartLore (Brief) • ThargoidsSagittarius Eye MagazineThe Elite Squadron

    Game Update Summaries: CoreHorizonsBeyond2019-2020Odyssey

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Arf's Holiday Message

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 07:40 AM PST

    All in one. All the ships i made blueprints for, for now, one page per ship. O7

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 02:28 PM PST

    A lot of directors don't like people watching their content on phones. I wonder what they would think of me watching it at 33% opacity in outer space on a Vive Pre.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 10:59 PM PST

    Forget things like SPEAR, protect lawful pilots in CG systems with a time-attrition super-cruise blockade of unlawfuls with ultra-fast small ships with good interdictors

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 04:07 PM PST

    At the last couple CGs I've been enjoying myself experimenting and employing a tactic of constantly interdicting wanted ships with my ultra-fast Courier (build here ).

    Anyway, here are some things I have learned!

    1. An iEagle or Viper engineered for extreme speed (I am calling 800 m/s or faster) works just as well. You basically just need a veritable rocket with a size 2 preferable engineered FSD interdictor on it. Jury is still out to me on whether long range or wide-angle engineering is better though an un-engineered interdictor is fine as well.
    2. Crime reporting on, honey-pot clean future-Wanted who have just arrived into interdicting you to getting the ball rolling. You are only ever going to interdict wanted people after all.
    3. The general rule of thumb is to modify the behavior of these criminals by tying them up, wasting time and giving them an un-stimulating experience. The basic game-loop is to interdict and get them out of SC where they can harm others. If the system is low on these neer-do-wells, fight the interdiction as long as possible to waste time (doesn't really matter if you lose and get the longer cooldown), tie the one you have on the hook up longer by zooming around a bit when you both drop and making it seem like you're going to do something interesting but eventually you are just going to unsatisfyingly get back into SC. If the system is simply lousy with The Wanted get back into SC immediately and get on someone else's arse. Submit quickly to all interdictions instead of fighting so you can increase your turn-over rate. The FSD Interdictor is the great equalizer. Everyone has to deal with the annoying aspect of interdiction, only for you whether you are doing it or being interdicted it is goals achieved!
    4. Not interdicting and just making them do useless SC loops because they are anxious you are on their bum is a perfectly good time-wasting tactic as well. I have often gotten one doing circles for minutes on end. Or, making them huddle back-to a star or planet, or making them play "can't see me" by going to max low SC speed are great as well. If they aren't pulling a lawful and are getting bored, you are achieving your goals and helping the lawful citizens. One of the greatest achievements you can achieve is tying up a wing of gankers for awhile who are convinced if they can just get the proper positioning and drop on you they will get you. Bonus: they keep trying. This can happen and it is delightful!
    5. Do not engage in chat with them because that can be entertaining for them and they are usually only trying to shit-talk, brag, call you stuff etc. A single, prepared message that says "I will cease interacting with if you leave, clear your wanted status and stay clean when you get back." can be useful and let's them know what you're doing. Staying silent I am guessing is more infuriating though.
    6. They are flying expensive ships they engineered the hell out of while you are flying ships with laughably small rebuys and you only had to engineer a few key things. This is a great dynamic! Sometimes if things are slow, actually let them kill you after as long a drawn encounter as you can manage. You'll re-spawn with mere pocket change and be back at it 45 seconds later. Meanwhile you might have sucked more of them into wanted status and increased their notoriety level.
    7. Tips on keeping it interesting for you, the speed-interdictor. I play motivating music, or pipe Netflix or a good podcast into my VR cockpit. If no Wanted are present I drop in signal sources and top off mats. I will also practice interdiction on NPC wanted ships. My Courier also has a complement of 6 reverb cascade torpedos (max lightweight engineering) so I will practice nailing high-speed flybys and landing as many torps as possible to see what havoc it can wreak. This is great fun and I hope to still get better at it. Wrecking someone's shield generator will often make them bug out prematurely.
    8. Many gankers use drag munitions. So far they really don't cut my speed that much to be a hinderance so I don't worry too much if they somehow land a volley in the first couple seconds after the drop or if I try a torp run before bugging out. Grom bombs if they land them are usually a mild inconvenience as well in a super-fast ship. The only thing that would really trouble you is something like ion disruption mines that reset thrusters if they somehow connected with one (hard to see). The biggest threat I've seen is long-range rails aimed at your thrusters they are able to use in the first few seconds before you can get out of their range. So far though it has never dropped my 3A reinforced/stripped-down regular shields. I keep a lightweight chaff launcher and deploy one in case they have gimbals.

    Here are some of the reactions you will get:

    1. Most of them will completely misunderstand/mis-construe what you're doing, especially if they are newbie baby gankers or very dunderheaded try-hards. Many will think you are a SPEAR-esque counter-ganker with a pathetic ship. They will spend time trying to shit-talk you about how weak you are, flying a "cope" ship (eyeroll) etc. Again, don't talk just keep doing your thing. I've noticed there seems to be a lot of slurs involved. They will also brag about how their buddy just ganked someone so you are a failure. The point is this guy didn't gank someone-he was tied up with you.
    2. If they are spanking-new wanna-be gankers who aren't that good yet encounters like these can get them frustrated enough to leave the system with a sad-sack comment ("I just wanted to come here and kill in peace and you ruined my fun!") and not come back. Good chance to send your message about peaceful redemption in the lawful lifestyle.
    3. Some will think you are a fledgling wanna-be ganker and try to encourage/recruit you ("You know you wanna cross over to the Dark-Side...come, we have frags"). If the system is slow at the moment and you feel like it, pretend to entertain their ideas, chat, and ask if they have any literature right before you interdict them one more time. If they aren't ganking, you and your other lawful pilots are winning.
    4. I can't tell for sure of course but I think some have blocked me which is funny because given their usual stance on blocking ("It is sooo worse than murder man!") they become hypocrites par excellence.
    5. Sometimes there is a group of well-known skilled gankers you think you won't be able to tie up for long but surprisingly you tie up their wing for an hour. The galaxy if full of surprises and pride is a powerful thing you can use to your advantage to keep them trying.
    6. The most trouble you will have is a group of well-seasoned PvP/gankers who will see what you're doing and calmly try to manage you. They might peel off one of their ilk to try to honey-pot you while the others gank on. So far this has really only happened once. If you are alone best you can do is be unpredictable, don't let one lead you far off somewhere and just try to snag as many opportunities with scatter-brained SC flying as you can get. A lone speed-interdictor can accomplish much but when faced with players like these numbers of us would be good, which leads to my take-way:

    SUMMARY: A devoted Operation Ida-level group that reliably shows up at CGs and trouble systems and swarms super cruise in ultra-fast Vipers/iEagles/Couriers would be way more effective at counter-ganking than groups like SPEAR are. SPEAR is fine if you want to engage in higher-end PvP fun and try to counter-gank but it doesn't seem to be effective at managing gankers-griefers. The group wouldn't even need to be winged-up--this all would work best with everyone there just lone-wolfing it and but doing it in numbers.

    submitted by /u/Mita_Kondria
    [link] [comments]

    The cockpit of the Beluga Liner is literally the size of a hotel lobby.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 02:23 PM PST

    well isnt it a joy for me to fly this thing, I'm already ritch anough to afford wherever i want but coming bact to this is so fun, I've flown it for combat, odyssey missions and now a exploration trip

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 10:03 AM PST

    Well that was unexpected

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 10:37 AM PST

    Was going around looking for some missions to get some quick bucks (I'm quite new, and just wasted a couple mil to do up my cobra) when I saw a 5 million cargo run. 5 million for 30 cargo, can't be too hard right?

    Turns out I have to travel a quarter of a light year to get to the place…

    submitted by /u/DA-ZACHYZACHY
    [link] [comments]

    New Enzyme Missile has been released! Stats inside.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 12:00 PM PST

    Okay, my new missile rack arrived, and I've had time to do some testing. Here are the results.

    The Stats can be seen here: https://i.imgur.com/B6Yqn3s.png

    Enzyme Missile Testing​

    So my basic testing procedure is, I deploy a Taipan fighter with the shield disabled, and shoot it with the enzyme missile, then count how many seconds it takes to die.

    Test 1: Standard Enzyme Missile. Fighter died in 27s/28s. This translates to 45 base hp - 7 impact damage(5*1.4 for explosive) = 38 hp in 28 seconds, or 1.35 damage per second.

    Test 2: Old Modified Enzyme Missile. Fighter died in 25s This translates to 45 base hp - 10.5(7.5*1.4 for explosive) = 34.5 hp in 25 seconds, or 1.38 damage per second.

    Note: Slight differences may be recording errors. Additionally, Enzyme Missiles do degrading damage. They do about half their damage in the first 20 seconds, so the slightly higher damage per second is purely due to dying slightly faster, because of the slightly higher initial impact damage, and NOT because the caustic burn is actually higher.

    Test 3: Both missiles at once. Maybe the different dots can stack. Fighter died in 20s. 45-7-10.5 = 26.5. 26.5/20 = 1.325

    Test 4: 2x shots of modified launcher. Fighter died in 18.5 seconds. 45-21=24/18.5=1.29 damage per second. No stacking.

    Conclusions​

    Now, the juicy part. Is the NEW modified launcher any different?

    Moment of truth: The new missile rack kills the fighter in......... 25 seconds! Or 1.38 damage per second. This is identical to the old rack.

    The new missile rack does NOT penetrate shields.

    The new missile rack does NOT stack with itself.

    The new missile rack does NOT stack with the others.

    Conclusion: The new missile rack is identical to the old modified missile rack.

    Analysis of Effectiveness in Combat​

    It does approximately 3.75 DPS to shields, and with constant fire, approximately 6.63 DPS to armor. Even assuming the target has 50% resistance to explosive damage, you're still looking at a standard C1 missile rack doing 12.5 DPS (plus heavy module damage), compared to about 4 DPS from the modified enzyme missile rack, which is also incapable of damaging external or interior modules.

    For context, that's about 66% as much damage as an unengineered C1 gimballed multicannon, which also cannot be shot down by point defense, and is capable of damaging modules.

    You would need to be hitting the target less than once every 14 seconds for the Enzyme Missile Rack to become superior, against a max-engineered target.

    Conclusion: The Modified Enzyme Missile Rack is essentially useless.

    submitted by /u/DemiserofD
    [link] [comments]

    You guys like the new type 11?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 08:08 PM PST

    Today I accidentally ganked / Apology to CMDR Fiery Phoenix

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 10:22 PM PST

    So for a little bit of context, I'm fairly new to the game (been playing for a couple of months now), but I am in a small piracy group where we play, have a good time, and at times try to rob commanders near our local system.

    So today I was just flying around some systems in my Cobra, when I saw a Hauler at 35% hull heading for an outpost. I figured this was an easy target, since if they were on their way to sell something, it probably had a good price, and at 35%, they wouldn't want to risk getting blown up. So I positioned myself behind the Hauler and began interdiction. They quickly submitted, so I thought, "Either they don't want to resist, or they know how to escape player interdictions."

    We got yoinked out of SC, and I saw the Hauler's engines were on full. I pasted my standard piracy message ( This is a piracy. Reduce thrusters to zero for scan or die. Your choice. ), targeted the hauler, and began to pursue.

    Well, today I learned that apparently haulers can decelerate surprisingly fast. They cut the throttle, and I had barely any time to react, slammed right into the back, and blew up their poor ship.

    I immediately felt terrible, but didn't know what to do. So I got back into SC and began to head for that outpost, since it recently had an interstellar and I had a few bounties I needed to pay off. There, I found a player Hauler, and upon closer inspection, it was the same player I tried to rob. I posted a few messages in chat, but I don't know if they saw them.

    So Fiery Phoenix, if you see this, I would again like to apologize for my mistake. Let me know if I can buy you a bunch of cargo or something, because I do feel terrible about forcing a rebuy when you were just listening to my demands.

    submitted by /u/GhavGhavington
    [link] [comments]

    This is the most beautiful thing that I have seen in E:D

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 10:44 PM PST

    These lowlifes ain't got nothing on someone that knows how to press spacebar

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 02:20 PM PST

    Had this neat moment the other day when I picked a random VIP passanger contract and ended up visiting a tourist beacon in Synuefe RA-L d9-49 3B that was submitted by CMDR Angantyr back in September

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 08:09 PM PST

    The game offered me another awesome view, so I obviously had to take a screenshot. :)

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 05:18 AM PST

    Finally got her dressed to dance. I've had my vette for a while, but finally dropped for the midnight black paint and ship kit. If this doesn't make those pirates reach for their brown pants, I don't know what will.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 06:35 AM PST

    ah yes, the federation approved docking protocols (don't hate for autodock i can land i'm just lazy lol)

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 10:22 PM PST

    Night Seance with Jameson's ghost. (HIP 12099 1B - Jameson Crash Site)

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 06:15 AM PST

    Lastpass is warning users that HCS Voicepacks user database has been breached

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 06:43 PM PST

    Lastpass has a feature called "Dark Web Monitoring" that reports user database breaches. They are currently notifying users that emails, passwords, usernames and IP addresses for HCS Voicepacks accounts have been found on the dark web. Users are advised to change their passwords on the site and any other site where they reused the same password.

    Have I Been Pwned? is not yet reporting a breach.

    HCS Voicepacks seems to be denying any breach on twitter.

    submitted by /u/atlas5
    [link] [comments]

    Ship Malfunctioned and Overheated? Is this a feature or a bug?

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 12:33 AM PST

    My story of Elite Dangerous

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 03:41 PM PST

    I've now officially spent more time playing this game than any other. What started as a curiosity on steam (played on a macbook pro in 2017) has evolved into an absolute obsession nearly 5 years down the road.

    Thankfully my setup has improved. I have the next gen xbox, a great monitor, a HOTAS (with f****** perfect bindings), and another monitor nearby to support me with info. My skills... have also improved, albeit at a less than satisfactory level. I did manage to kill my first Cyclops yesterday. Basillisk still eludes me. Glad I came to the Witch Head Nebula with money to blow.

    This was something I wanted to accomplish for a while. Previously, I had been satisfied with slaying rez zones in my Vulture. Until one day, I saw a clip of a Krait mk II taking on a Hyrda and knew I had to try to get to this level. I bought one and spent the next several months catching up on engineering, learning about Robigo to pay for my 100+ deaths it would take me to get good at AX (and core mining), as well as the guardian mods of course. And, I'm a slow learned/procrastinator so this all took me far longer than necessary .

    (then there were the several months of just enjoy a krait II with railguns and thermal vent beam)

    The point of all this, if it was any other game I would have gotten bored within a few days. I even got bored of the Witcher (sue me). Something about this game will always draw me to it.

    Anyway, thanks for reading. Thats just one CMDR sharing his love.

    I'll be out blasting 'goids and listening to my Elite Dangerous Spotify playlist.

    submitted by /u/Midnightoilspecial
    [link] [comments]

    Just a reminder from the galaxy.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 01:31 AM PST

    First time that I've bothered to put cosmetics on a ship, meet Atlas :D

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 02:05 AM PST

    "All right, crew, listen up! It's Friday night and the boys at the local hydroponics plant are at it again! Our mission is threefold: drink all their fertilizer, smoke all their potatoes and seduce the Thargoid queen! Now, MOVE IT, time to dress up, get drunk and raise hell!"

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 02:07 PM PST

    How do I stay engaged in the game

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 10:29 PM PST

    When i play i usually go do trading or bounty hunting but recently I've found that i cant play for more than like 30 min. Is there anything i can do that will keep me going in the game because it has started to feel boring to me.

    submitted by /u/Damon20000
    [link] [comments]

    Stations are not just burning, they are screaming for help!

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 11:52 PM PST

    I continuously get docking denied any time I return to a station from combat. I solo wing missions and having to relog to fix it causes me an extra trip to the nav beacon every time to find the targets all over again. why is this happening? also happens in solo mode.

    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 11:45 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment